If you’re frustrated with your car radio reception, then this post is for you. We’ll discuss the ways that will help improve the quality of your signal and better enhance your music listening experience!
Why Car Radio Reception may be weak?
When radio waves hit the metallic body of a car, they tend to get reflected and bounce throughout creating static noise. This is usually the reason why your radio reception in car has a weak signal. Also, the local zoning board may be responsible for the disturbance in your radio reception. The signal in car can get better if you move to another location or region where there are better signals.
However, there are some ways you can use to get better Radio Reception in Your Car.
- Tune into channels that broadcast on AM/FM frequencies. AM frequencies better sound quality because they have less static noise compared to other frequencies such as FM.
- Check that your car’s built-in factory antenna is still connected to the receiver unit in your car stereo system and isn’t loose somewhere within the vehicle interior where it can’t receive any signal at all.- be sure you are getting an adequate amount of power
- Maximise your current antenna. You can do this by placing it upright or laying the car on its side and tilting the old one towards a window for better signal strength. The last method almost almost guarantees better sound quality when you’re stuck driving in traffic during rush hour and FM stations stop coming in clearly. It also gets rid of cracking sounds which often happens when travelling under an overhead bridge or low-hanging wires.
- Use an antenna. Antennas attache onto your outside metal body, which will result in better signal strength compared to having one inside your vehicle. However, antennas are generally expensive and takes time to install them before they produce good results. They work best when attached somewhere else such as roof top or trunk part of the car away from engine parts emitting too manyations.
- Check if Your Antenna Mast Extended? A manual antenna mast may be pushed in a variety of ways, including if a vehicle wash employee fails to retract it, or if a bird sits on it. Whatever the reason, if you have a retractable mast and your reception has been poor lately, it’s definitely worth double-checking this first. Electric antennas that extend when the radio is turned on can also fail in the down position. And since a lot of these antennas are outside your normal field of vision, you may not even notice that the motor is broken.
- Install a signal booster. This booster attaches to your antenna, boosts its signal into better radio reception and then transmits it throughout the entire vehicle . It amplifies weak signals so you can enjoy better listening experience at home or even on a boat. The installation process takes about five minutes. Don’t forget to check an exterior noise which may be caused by any nearby power source before purchasing one of these units.
- If it’s still hard to get a clear channel get a HD Radio receiver system with a better tuner that amplifies better radio reception in car. It helps provide better signal strength than using external antennas and does not require any outside power source.
If nothing’s worked
One final thing you can do is to get a better radio receiver for your vehicle. A head unit includes processing input from any connected devices such as iPod, CD player, smartphone etc.
This option requires some research because there are several models out there which will work better than others depending on the make and model of your car. It may be expensive but it’s worth investing into this solution if nothing seems to work even after trying all these other methods above.